Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chicken Egg Question

Our chickens are doing a marvelous job laying eggs and Sugar Plum Fairy and I made a chart to keep track of who lays what when. The Plymouth Baird Rock (Velma) lays light brown eggs, the Rhode Island Red (Ariana) lays a darker brown egg and the Americana (Daphne) lays aqua eggs. This morning, we discovered a small brown egg with rough black spots on it and it is the same weight as the others. This picture shows the comparison between the oddity and the normal eggs. I have heard of chickens sometimes laying soft shelled or no shelled eggs for various reasons, but do any of you know about chickens laying a different color, shape and size egg?

3 comments:

Becky said...

You have two chickens and the third egg is a mystery egg? Too weird. I have heard of chickens laying a second egg in the same day that will be softshelled...don't know about smaller. If you find out, let me know...I'm curious! We have 31 chickens and are getting more this week. :)

Farmchick said...

Well, I just don't know!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Ha! I have no idea.
Sounds like somebody's trying to be funny. I can just hear those chicken's conversation....."Those humans think their so smart, let's see them figure this one out!"
They probably conned a passing bird to lay that egg just to confuse you. LOL