Friday, December 31, 2010

Year End Book List

These are the books I read this year and my thoughts about each. As in everything, some good, some not so good.
Bel Canto (Ann Prachett) When my sister recommends a book, it is always good...unlike her movie recommendations.
Motherhood: The Second Oldest Profession (Erma Bombeck) I had not read one of her books since becoming a Mom...so much fun!
Travels With Charley (John Steinbeck) I had never heard of this book. Mr. Steinbeck travels across across the U.S. with his dog, Charley in a camber. It is interesting to hear his views of the people making up this country...differences between states, etc. Not my favorite, but worth the time.
Romeo and Juliet (William Shakespeare) I had never read this...did so to help my son through it...have now read it.
Committed (Elizabeth Gilbert) I adored Eat, Pray, Love and had high hopes for this one. It is interesting from the standpoint of other cultures' views on marriage. Not a favorite.
Paint the Wind (Pam Munoz Ryan) Lollipop Pop asked me to read it...really enjoyed it. A young girl...horses...every girls' dream.
Riven (Jerry Jenkins) I heard about this from a fellow blogger. This is a book that will stay with me for a long time.
The Other Boleyn Girl (Philippa Gregory) I always enjoy historical novels.
The Queen's Fool (Philippa Gregory) Another historical novel...Bloody Queen Mary and Princess Elizabeth...I do enjoy reading about this era.
Animal, Vegetable, Mineral (Barbara Kingsolver) I really enjoyed this and took notes! Yikes, what a dork!
Menace in Red Chaps (Eli Colter) Western written in 1939...VERY predictable and I didn't care for it at all.
A Time to be Born (Gilbert Morris) First in a series about a farming family in Arkansas...older kids leave farm to venture on their own...one as an actress, another a reporter for Hearst, another a boxer. I enjoyed it and will probably read the sequels one day.
Men to Match My Mountains (Irving Stone) A good historical novel on how California came to be.
Farewell to Manzanar (Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston) I had read this years ago but re-read it now. It is the life of a child who lived in one of the Japanese Internment Camps in the USA during WWII. It is a true story and more powerful than I had remembered.
My Sister Dilly (Maureen Lang) An easy read.
Twilight Series (Stephanie Meyer) I read all 4 books in order to see if I would let Lollipop Pop read them...not quite yet.
Mennonite in a Little Black Dress (Rhoda Janzen) Not my favorite, but okay. I do think the author's mother would be fun to know.
Signs in the Blood (Vicki Lane) Another book recommended by a blogger. A murder mystery set in the Appalachian Mountains. Several nights I had to set it down to continue during daylight hours...suspenseful, not predictable and I will read more my this author.
Hunger Game Series (Suzanne Collins) I LOVED all three books. The best part was reading them and discussing them with Lollipop Pop.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Steig Larsson) VERY hard to get into. Glad I stuck with it. It is extremely graphic, though.
The Worst Day of my Life, So Far (M.A. Harper) Written from the view point of an adult daughter taking care of her mother with Alzheimer's. Some heart breaking, some humorous. Not a favorite.
I can hardly wait to see what 2011 brings in the way of books.
Inkheart (Cornelia Funke) Loved it! Very imaginative and creative.

8 comments:

klutzymama said...

Our library does not have Signs In The Blood, but I got In A Dark Season by the same author and am really enjoying it. I hope to be able to get the other book soon.

Farmchick said...

I love Barbara Kingsolver and if you haven't read any of her other works, I recommend them highly. I read the Twilight books and did enjoy them. Am currently reading, Eat,Pray,Love. Have a great 2011!

klutzymama said...

Katie asked me tonight if she & I could start a book club. We're going to read 1 or 2 chapters a week and then discuss them together. We're going to read Paint The Wind for our first one. We're both so excited! So again, THANK YOU for always posting what you have read. :)

Vicki Lane said...

Happy to find myself on your list! I loved ANIMAL, VEGETABLE, MIRACLE too and took some dorkish notes myself!

Farmgirl Paints said...

Ohhhh thanks for the list. I haven't read a really good book in a very very long time. Now I just need to carve out some time. Happy New Year friend:)

klutzymama said...

Um...how cool is it that the author of one of the books on your list left you a comment? Pretty stinkin' cool, I say!

Twisted Fencepost said...

I can't remember that last book I read.
Oh yeah, besides the reading that I have to do for school, I did read a book I purchased while on vacation in Charleston, SC, by a local author.
I really need to get off Facebook and start reading books again.
Thanks for the list, it will be a starting point for me.

klutzymama said...

Oh. My. Word! I just finished In a Dark Season by Vicki Lane. Not only was it a great read, but the ending literally made my jaw drop! If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it. I don't know where this book falls in the Elizabeth Goodweather series, but I can't wait to read more of them!