Thursday, December 23, 2010

Discoveries

Having the kids home this week, in the past, has been work...trying to get everything done, trying to do too much and me getting frustrated and snarky at those who were only trying to relax and enjoy a few days with no homework and stress.


This year is different. I discovered that handing your 13 year old some gifts, wrapping paper and tape is a positive thing and she does a great job! I discovered that getting OFF OF YOUR 16 year old son's back is a good thing and he responds in positive ways. If you help your 6 year old add ingredients in a bowl and give her the reins, she makes terrific dog treats. I discovered that I am NOT an architect nor engineer...I have proof!

Sugar Plum Fairy received this as an early gift and adores it! I am struggling. The instructions say (I imagine in a sweet, syrupy voice) to "hold each piece together for one minute to allow frosting to set. Ummm....we are on day two when these pics are taken. The roof kept sliding off and we keep searching for items that were the right height to add support. You can just make out a jar of the cute dog treats Sugar Plum Fairy made...they offer enough weight to hold barn walls in place as well...who knew? The counter has red frosting everywhere and with the moisture in the air, the walls and roof are sagging. I may resort to what Jana did here. I discovered that with a bit of planning, gift giving does not need to be stressful. We made all of our teacher, neighbor and friend gifts this year and it was fun! We had fun deciding who would get what and preparing each basket. Here are a few of the items we made with ideas from some wonderful blogs...
Making vanilla is a rewarding and super easy addition to Christmas gift baskets...I learned from this great blogger! I used vodka because it was in a pretty, dark blue bottle...I will do this again and make a larger amount. I also gave homemade Elderberry Syrup in these bottles.

I discovered that homemade granola does not last long in our home...I hope the neighbors enjoy it as well.
I made this for our wonderful mail lady. It is nummy and Kim is just starting a terrific new blog. I discovered that if I don't have time to make bread to accompany this gift, it is okay!

In really trying to have this Christmas focus on family and togetherness, Lollipop Pop and I made these kits. We gave them to a couple neighbors who have children or grandchildren. We did keep one kit ourselves and will be baking tomorrow!

I also discovered that there is one reason to go back to the store today...THESE are superb and I must make another batch today.

I also rediscovered something that I already knew...our home is a wonderful place to be when I am not running around like a lunatic! I am please with myself that I "got" it this year.

Blessings to all of you!

2 comments:

Farmchick said...

I enjoy hanging out at home too, but sometimes the kids do get snarky. Just the way things are. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

Twisted Fencepost said...

I've found that the best way to stop the snarkies is to shove a cookie between their lips. LOL
Glad you had great vacation time this year!!