Wednesday, November 24, 2010

You just never know

Before we moved to the country 8 years ago, we lived in town in a fantastic neighborhood. We were in a shallow cul-de-sac and there were several kids in the immediate area the same age as Shaggy and Lollipop Pop. The kids would ride bikes and skateboards, play basketball and tag. From time to time, someone would fall down and scrape something and need a bit of attention. My sister had introduced me to "Magic Medicine" and this is what I used for the neighborhood boo boos. Magic Medicine is simply Dermoplast. The cooling spray, when accompanied by the name "Magic Medicine", cured most everything. Shaggy has been in touch with one of the neighborhood boys again after several years of losing track. This young man is dealing with his parents' divorce as well as the "normal" teenage drama. Shaggy showed me a text that the boy had sent remembering the fun they had had as kids and "your Mom's Magic Medicine". I nearly fell over! A 17 year old boy remembered such a silly little thing after so many years. It made me remember the power and impact we, as adults, have on children. Maybe it is just a smile or hug. Maybe words of wisdom or an act of kindness. Maybe it will help a teeneager as he navigates difficult times and maybe it will just bring a smile to his face. I am thankful to have been reminded.

5 comments:

Farmchick said...

Nice post. I am sure this young man is dealing with a lot right now.

Twisted Fencepost said...

So sweet! And a reminder that our actions speak loud!
I'll bet he wishes there were some kind of "Magic Medicine" for his parents marriage.
Poor guy, I feel for him.

Emie Kay said...

I have no doubt that there are many untold stories of your kindness and love that you've given to so many that have deeply impacted people. You are truly such a beautiful, radiant person, and your warmth has made me and Abiel feel comfortable and welcome several times. Thanks for sharing such beauty with your world.

Erin @itsgrace.com said...

This is so sweet, Jen. Isn't it amazing what we remember from our childhood?

My heart goes out to this kiddo..I hope and pray that He knows the Lord or comes to know the Lord through this. Because, He is our "Magic Medicine" :)

BTW, you should come see my blog today..announced the Dayspring winner. http://www.itsgrace.com/?p=381

Erin
itsgrace.com

Tipper said...

Sweet! So right-we never know the impact the little things we do have on children. Pap coached baseball for years and years-and sometimes those now grown men with kids of their own will call him just to talk-just cause his good influence is still there all these years later-even though he was only coaching little league.