Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Rushed Morning and a Good Thing

Mornings around the Nut House usually include a lot of me acting like the traffic controller..."Stop talking and eat,"..."Where did you last see your backpack?"... "Yes, you have to brush your teeth"..."Unless yor feet are in your shoes, I doubt that they walked away...now go FIND them!". (Hmmm...sounds a bit more like a drill sergeant that a traffic controller, doesn't it? Anyway, I digress. Yesterday was much like any other but I was going to be helping at the girls' school all morning as well. As I was driving Shaggy to school in town, I glanced in the mirror and noticed that I had forgotten to put my makeup on...hair was done, clothing was on, contacts in and teeth brushed, but not a speck of makeup. Now, I don't wear much, but the older I get the more invisible my eyes become, so I feel better with a bit of liner, shadow and mascara. My first reaction was to screech and belittle myself for forgetting and figure out a way to go back home without making everyone late, but I happened to glance at my 13 year old daughter in the back seat. She was watching my reaction. I took a deep breath, and in an instant decided to make it a non issue. I want her to focus on people's inner beauty (including her own) and not put emphasis on outward appearances and frivolous things. My insecurities were worried about what other people might think when they saw my naked face...I want her to be a kind and productive member of our society who does the right thing and not get caught up in what other people may think. Teenagers have so many issues pulling them in different directions and it is vitally important to feel secure and strong in one's own self and I pray that I can help her navigate these tough years.

5 comments:

klutzymama said...

Good job-you made the right choice. I can sympathize with you because I feel hideous without makeup.

Emie Kay said...

You are such a beautiful woman, inside and out and I can truly see that beauty being transfered to your family. Thanks for sharing! Love to you!

Home's Where My Heart Is said...

What a teachable moment!! Good job!! You are so right..our kids are very closely watching what we do...

Your new background is so cute, I love it!!

Hope you're having a blessed day..

Twisted Fencepost said...

Oh boy, I know that was a tough decision to make.
Sounds to me like you perform great under pressure. LOL

Natalie at Mommy on Fire said...

Good for you for thinking of this before you reacted! I think that is the single most biggest challenge - to think before we react.

I am with you though - I have noticed that my eyes are almost invisible now without makeup. This did not used to be the case and I wondered what was happening...Yep, it's that aging thing again...Love it....

Way to go, Mama Nuthouse!