Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Great Monday!

The girls did not have school on Monday and it turned out to be one of the best days ever! Lollipop Pop had finished 2 second book in a trilogy the previous night and wanted to buy the third. She had saved for it, so off we went. We made a side trip to Lowe's first for the makings of a project for me, then the library for Sugar Plum Fairy and Target for Lollipop Pop's book. We grabbed sandwiches for lunch and started home. On the way, we noticed large amounts of smoke on a nearby hill and an air tanker making a drop of retardant on it. I parked the car on the side of the road and we ate lunch and watched the fire fighting efforts. The girls and their Mom, enjoyed watching the helicopter drop buckets of water and another tanker drop retardant when flare ups occurred.

Turns out it was 58 acres and thankfully no homes were damaged, although several were threatened. The hill is also where Lollipop Pop took her photos for 4-H last year.
When we got home, we painted our pumpkins. I love the look of them like this and they seem to last longer, as well. The one with painted flowers is Sugar Plum Fairy's.

We also went for a walk/ride
and I took pictures of varied agriculture commodities our area raises. Mind you, these are just within a short walking distance from our house...our farmers also raise cotton, pistachios, stone fruit, corn, alfalfa, grapes and almonds.

I love the pecan groves with the the droopy branches...

...the black eyes peas drying in windrows.

We are "rescuing" a few for ourselves...I have never prepared them, but the kids had fun collecting them and will learn how to cook with them.

See the black spot on the hill in the background? That is a portion of the fire that we watched. We were about halfway there.

There are elderberries bushes in abundance as well. The yellow flowers turn into the green berries before ripening into the clusters of purple juiciness,

We collected a basket and I made syrup yesterday.
Oranges and grapefruit look much the same at this time of year

The walnut husks containing the nut are cracking open and allowing the walnut to fall to the ground...our variety is a bit later and will be ready in another couple weeks.

The olives will be ready soon as well.

I have mentioned before how happy I am that we are in such an important and agriculturally diverse area of this country...wonderful fall days like this just confirm it.



6 comments:

klutzymama said...

Wow, you really have such a variety of agriculture! Around here it's just corn & beans. :)

Farmchick said...

We have a lot of that corn and beans stuff around here too! I do like all of your choices. Looks like you and the girls had a great day.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Wow! So many things.
I have black walnut here on the farm. I wish their hulls would crack open like those walnuts. They are such a mess to get the hull off of. Not to mention very hard to crack. I can't wait till our pecans begin falling. I'm curious to see what the harvest will be.

tipper said...

Twisted Fencepost said exactly what I was going to say! I love black walnuts that grow here-but they're a pain to deal with-I can't believe the husks just fall off of those-wow!

I've always wanted to try elderberries-I think they grow here some-but I've never had them.

Neat that you live where you can see all that growing goodness : )

Melinda said...

Sounds like a perfect day! What a blessing!

Natalie at Mommy on Fire said...

Oh my word - wherever you live, it looks beautiful! I'm super curious!

What a cool place to raise children - think of all the "sciency" type of learning that goes on! My ex-teacher brain is loving the thought.

Thanks for reading my blog - I'm a horrible commenter but I'm trying to get better in this area. I enjoyed reading your blog, Jen!

My boys would still be talking about the fire and the brave firemen...My daughter would be as well for that matter...:)