Monday, September 20, 2010

Teachers

Growing up, I had some fantastic teachers, but my two favorites were my 6th grade teacher and my high school music teacher/band director. Mrs. Alexander was my 6th grade teacher and I adored her. Not all of the kids did. She was a strict, no nonsense teacher who had a job to do and took teaching very seriously. She also had a terrific sense of humor when she deemed it appropriate. She sent me a card when I graduated high school as well as when I got married. I run into her every couple of years in town now and she always remembers me.
Mr. A. was the "famed" band director at my high school. At the time, there were two high schools in our town and both of them had phenomenal music programs. Mr. A brought out the best in all kids and truly, people were clamoring to be a "band geek". We won numerous awards and even toured Europe one summer...yes, all 300+ kids. Truly an experience I am blessed to be a part of. Mr. A. sang "The Lord's Prayer" at my wedding. He retired several years ago after 30+ years in the same program and I was a bit melancholy that he wouldn't be sharing his gift with today's students. Lo and behold, I was wrong! He has been hired for a year as the interim band director at the new high school in town. I hope the kids and parents in that school know what a privilege it is to be taught by this man!
Do you have a favorite teacher?

5 comments:

Farmchick said...

I love my high school French teacher. A very unique person and a creative thinker. She was very different from most adults I knew then.

klutzymama said...

Mr. Jackson was my 5th grade math teacher. He was also a farmer. He was such a kind soul and always had a smile on his face.

Emie Kay said...

Ahhh, teachers. I love them! My favorite was my 2nd grade teacher, Miss Maychrzak. We have kept in touch over all these years. When I was in 6th grade she asked me to sing in her wedding. It was my privilege as she was my favorite person ever. We still talk and visit when we can (she is in MT). She sends boxes and gifts to my kids. Now they love her and her family as much as I do! I hope to have impact in someone's life to the extent that she has blessed and impacted mine!

Kristin said...

What fun reflections! I remember a special 3rd grade teacher that I just adored. I thought she was perfect in every way, and I wanted to be just like her when i grew up!

Tipper said...

Great Post! My favorite teacher was Mr. Moffitt. He was also the Principal of my small school-as well as being my 7th and 8th grade teacher. I still think about things he taught us.