Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remembering

I am reposting this from 2 years ago....
 

Like many Americans, I remember the exact moment that I watched the second plane hit the World Trade Center. I was getting the kids ready for school...Shaggy was in the 1st Grade and Lollipop Pop was going to preschool. I had the news on, as I did every morning, on our small kitchen television. I remember being shocked and confused. By the time I took the kids to school, everything seemed to be moving in a slower motion than normal. I was glued to the television all day for any sort of sensible explanation and was fighting the realization that there was none.

Last spring, Lollipop Pop and I were able to travel with her school group to Washington D.C. and New York. It was our first visit to the Capitol and my first visit to New York since the attack. The group of kids that we were travelling with were only 3 and 4 years old when the attacks occurred. It is so important for them to understand what happened and I was impressed that they all felt the magnitude of what they were experiencing when we visited Ground Zero. They understood in large part because of our wonderful guide. He took us to the Bronze Memorial Wall which is located at the Engine 10, Ladder 10 Firehouse. His passion and pride for not only New York City, but the United States of America was evident in everything he did and said. A portion of that is on the video.
video





St. Paul's Chapel is New York City's oldest building that has been in continuous use (it was George Washington's church) and is located across the street from the World Trade Center. It remarkably sustained little damage and was the home to an 8 month relief effort after the attacks. The Memorial that is inside the Chapel still brings tears to my eyes when I think about it. The people that volunteered their time and lives is more than I can comprehend and those families who lost their loved ones remain in my prayers to this day.


 


As horrific as these attacks were, I have rarely felt more proud to be an American. My heart bursts with pride as well as breaks from sadness when I think back to that time. I believe that we must never forget both the pain and the pride.



5 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

I am with you...such pride in the way our country pulled together.
But such a sad, sad memory that I wish none of us had to recall.

Home's Where My Heart Is said...

Excellent post. Sometimes I wish we could go back to the way we were as American's on 9-12-01. Everyone "got it". Now everyone is desensitized and back to the way things were.

I sometimes wonder if the pit in my stomach will ever go away when I think of 9-11. I hope not- I don't want it to become just another event in history to me. The victims and their loved ones deserve more than that.

Thanks for a wonderful post..

Bless you,

Erin

Farmchick said...

It is a sad memory. Wonderful post.

Betsy said...

Lovely post! We'll always remember!

Kelli said...

Very nice post. I, too, remember all too well the stunning sadness of that day. My husband and I got to visit Ground Zero during a trip to NYC three years ago.

I know that I will never forget.

BTW, I found you through PotP at Kristin's. :)