Saturday, September 4, 2010

I'm Going in...

My hubby was gone for two days this week, it was 107 degrees outside and I needed a project. This entry closet is where I store our wrapping paper, ribbons, games, craft supplies, various coats and gobs of junk.

It has never been very efficient and had become a place where things were shoved in and the doors closed. I began with just the idea of cleaning it out and re-stacking stuff, however, it soon evolved into a full blown project.
I particularly like the boxes that are perched and balancing on top of a small puzzle box...


























The wrapping paper was stored in wine boxes that had been covered in lovely and mismatched contact paper. The wine boxes had the separators in them to aid in organization...didn't work well.







The box that was precariously perched was filled with 22 dresses for Sugar Plum Fairy that I had forgotten I had! My sister had handed them down to her a couple years ago...they all fit her perfectly now and she is happy as a clam!



This drawer cart was purchased when Lollipop Pop was born...

I have recently used it for things like gift tags, tape, scissors but it never worked well... the drawers fell off the guides and some were broken. After I transferred everything from it to another chest of drawers, I wondered if I could use it in another way.








I turned the frame on its side, drilled pilot holes through the tubing and screwed in onto a piece of wood. The wood is actually a shelf that had been in the girls' closet (we built an organizer in there a couple weeks ago).













I didn't take many photos (bad blogger), but suffice it to say that this part was super easy. I also decided that I needed the shelf in the closet higher as well as the bar. This proved to be the most difficult part of the job...it involved much hammer hitting, prying and pleading with the shelf to help. It finally cooperated.

By having the rod hang higher, I could place the wrapping paper underneath the hanging coats.


I did purchase 2 inexpensive shelf systems and stacked them for help in the organization department. The wrapping paper fits, doesn't topple over and I even was able to stack my gift bags and boxes there as well.

While it is not a professional job, it meets our needs and I am thrilled!

I am linking up with another Jen at one of my favorite blogs...check her out!

UndertheTableandDreaming "
Stephanie Lynn's Sunday Showcase Party is fun too!

13 comments:

Farmchick said...

Bravo! I have a closet under our staircase. It holds all of our gift bags, wrapping paper, stuff, stuff, and more stuff. It needs a serious make over!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Isn't it amazing how good it feels to organize? This looks wonderful! Great job!

klutzymama said...

Wow, I am thoroughly impressed, you did great!

Nancy said...

First of all did you say, 107 outside?!? Oh my... that is hot. But, that organization looks fabulous and what a dreamy day.:)

1 Funky Woman said...

Ha I have a closet that looks like that! I'd say most of us do? You did a great job switching that cart into something you could really use!

Thanks for popping over and sending get well wishes!

Meg

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

Great job!
You look like the model of organization now! :-)

Have a wonderful Sunday and Labor Day!
Hugs,
Anne

Christy said...

um--would you mind stopping by my place...i have a closet that really could use a full makeover...or maybe a make-under is more like it! popping in from tatertots and jello.

Meg said...

Awesome, way to use what you have!

Anna @ Take the Side Street said...

This is a great idea, I love that you re-purposed something you already had. I really like how much of the wrapping paper you can stuff into that baby, too. Great job!

tipper said...

It looks great. Most of my closets look like the before pic-well actually they look worse : )

Mrs. Dunbar said...

Doesn't it feel great to have that job done? I've been cleaning out closets and drawers and every nook and cranny I have the energy for. I wish I had an entire closet for wrapping stuff.

Ashley said...

Wow! What a transformation! That's how I make use of a free weekend when my husband is out of town too. Kind of sad, but it's so much easier to get a project like that done without distractions!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Great job!
It looks so neat and organized.
And much more functional.
I have a spare bedroom that needs a little work...ahem, I mean, whenever you're in town. LOL