Friday, August 13, 2010

My Father In Law

Today marks the 11th anniversary of my father in law's death. He was born in "the old country", but came to America as a young man, married and raised his family here. He and his wife instilled in their 3 children a strong sense of self and a love for their heritage while embracing and working to obtain the American dream.
He took his family to the old country to visit family and friends as often as possible and I was lucky enough to travel twice with him. This is one of my favorite shots and is of myself (before kids), my father in law and my awesome sister in law on one of those trips.
I was blessed to have him in my life for more than a decade and while I am saddened that he never met Sugar Plum Fairy I am thrilled that Shaggy and Lollipop Pop have great memories.
This tree rose was given to us after his death by dear friends in his memory. I think of him whenever it blooms and I always pick the first blossom of the year and give to my hubby.
We miss you!

3 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

Oh, so sad.
But glad you have good memories.
Picking the first rose is such a sweet gesture to your father-in-law's memory.

klutzymama said...

He sounds like a wonderful man. The rose is beautiful.

Farmchick said...

So glad you have those wonderful memories of him. Sounds like he was a very special person.