Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Required Reading and a Soap Box

I read Farewell to Manzanar when I was a tween (although that term was not used then...we were just kids). Anyway, I remember it being interesting and an enjoyable read. It came to mind again recently and I thought Lollipop Pop would enjoy it, so I checked it out of the library and re-read it in a day. It was written in 1973 by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston and her husband, James. It is set during Jeanne's childhood beginning when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. She is a 7 year old Japanese American child living with her family in Long Beach, California when our government opened internment camps in the Western U.S. to house some 10,000 Japanese Americans. Mrs. Houston took me on a journey of the struggles and triumphs of normal growing up in an abnormal setting. The journey moved me differently as an adult than it did as a child. This is a part of history that if not for this book, I would know nothing about. My kids have not learned this in their history books thus far and I think it is very important to learn all of American History...not just the pretty parts.


4 comments:

Farmgirl Paints said...

That sounds really interesting. I have got to get back to reading. Maybe when school finally starts for my girls.

Emie Kay said...

That is so interesting! We were just talking about the internment camps a week ago with some of our friends who knew people who had to go there, some who lost their farms and some who had friends who cared for their property the entire time they were in the camps. I had never heard anything about this either. We will certainly be checking this one out! Missing you guys! Hope your summer has been everything you needed it to be.

klutzymama said...

Sounds very good. I went to Hawaii several years ago and visited the USS Arizona War Memorial. It was very moving and I agree, definitely a part of history that should not be left out of the history books.

Home's Where My Heart Is said...

There really isn't a lot mentioned in school about the internment camps..that seems to be something I just happened to hear about in another book I was reading. Sounds like a great book, I am going to see about getting it at the library.

Thanks for your comments on the party. I agree, a fairy party would be a great idea!! I could see many of the same decorations working. When my daughter was in 2nd grade or so we did a fairy party and we even made fairy dust. I think it was glitter and sugar or something, but I know there are a ton of recipes out there. Let me know if you do the party, I'd love to see pictures!!

Hope you're having a great day!!

:)Erin