Saturday, July 24, 2010

Really?

I can start up a computer and have it work WHILE I WAIT? Amazing! Let me preface this by saying our computer has been dying a slow, painful and noisy death for 4 years now....yes, 4 years. (I know this because every time I logged on, I was greeted with an icon that reminded me I had photos waiting to be downloaded to a CD...photos that had been for the kids 4-H books in the 4th and 6th grades that were still lurking in cyberspace because the CD driver thingy DIED) For the past year or so, I would get up in the morning, power her up (because the previous night she had sounded like a plane getting ready to take off), give her a pep talk and go make the coffee while she performed her morning ritual. Over the last month or so, the old gal had become slower and slower...I could get a load of laundry going while I waited as well. I felt sorry for her because she did try so hard every morning to do what I asked of her...Old Faithful felt like one of the family...I couldn't desert her when she was so sick. Well, that changed when our ISP changed modems and "upgraded" the system...for some reason the modem was not working well with our sick computer...after new modems being sent and hours on the telephone with "modem support", we decided it was time to let Old Faithful go and replace her. I had forgotten that when I hit "enter" on the keyboard, something was supposed to appear on the screen...silently and quickly! I am in love...but I do feel a bit guilty.

4 comments:

Home's Where My Heart Is said...

Oh do I ever feel your pain. Isn't it amazing how we have come to rely on technonlogy so much? And when it's not fast enough it tries my patience.

Congrats on the upgrade!!

klutzymama said...

RIP Old Faithful. Enjoy your new one!

Meg said...

Wow, 4 years! Congrats on joining the real world, lol! Glad you popped over for a visit!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Congrats on the new computer!
You'll always have good memories of old Faithful. Just forget about those long waits and just remember the good. tee hee