Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Birthdays

Remembering to slow down and savor moments is something that I seem to struggle with. When the kids were little, I tried to made every birthday special. They have always had a special cake...some more successful than others and get to choose any dinner they want, dining in or out. As they get older and involved in more activities is has been necessary to celebrate on a day other than the actual birthday, which has never felt right in my mind. This year, for Lollipop Pop, is a prime example and what spurred me into action. We are celebrating her birthday a few days early this year. Why not celebrate each child for a longer period of time? I gathered photos of Lollipop...some were already framed, others were rescued from the camera's memory card and then framed. I have a wall in the hallway that is visible from much of the house and usually has a piece of art hung and I knew that would be my focus for the birthday kidnick. I added several other items that are special to her to the table and Voila...a Lollipop Pop Vignette!
I have also placed other photos of her around the house. I did this while the older kids were in school and I mentioned nothing ahead of time...I wanted to hear their reactions. Shaggy passed by on his way to his room and made a nice comment. Lollipop Pop still has not said a word, but I noticed an addition that she added on her own.
It made my day!

5 comments:

Rebcam said...

Aaah...sending some hugs to my favorite lollipop!

klutzymama said...

How precious is that! What a great idea. You are such a sweet mama!

Emie Kay said...

Awwww. Made me cry! Thanks for sharing!

Kristin said...

Oh! How very sweet! I love this idea. We have friends who celebrate each other's birthdays for a whole 12 days around their "big day", and call it: "The 12 Days of Jackmas" or the "12 Days of Juliemas". Love it! Happy weekend!

Beth said...

I bet it made her day! Thanks so much for linking up to the party!