Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Twenty-Two Years Ago Today

On March 9, 1988 I was still a travel agent and was one of two who were leading a small group to Innsbruck, Austria. There were 17 of us in all with varied backgrounds... a mountain man, a couple of 50 something ladies who liked to be the life of the party, a twenty something with his grandmother and several guys in their 30's. Interests were varied as well...those who had been before and would use Innsbruck as their base to travel elsewhere, those who wanted to shop and sight see and those who wanted to ski. I did not know all of the travellers, but it seemed like a good group. On March 9, we arranged for much of the group to take a bus trip through the Black Forest and visit this castle. Neuschwanstein Castle was built by "Mad" King Ludwig and is set up on a hill for a very dramatic view. Neuschwanstein Castle was was under construction for the last 17 years of the King's life. He only spent a grand total of 172 days actually living in the castle! King Ludwig was declared mentally unfit to rule after 22 years and was deposed as King of Bavaria. Two days later he was found dead in a lake. Hmmm...murder or suicide...the question remains unanswered. Now, look past the kook that BUILT the castle and remember that the beauty of this castle is what Walt Disney based Sleeping Beauty's Castle on in Disneyland.


It was here... in this castle...just through this entrance... that I was asked by one of the thirty something skiers if he would be stepping on any one's toes if he kissed me. I don't remember anything after that except our first kiss. We toured the castle holding hands (this room is where we were noticed by others in the group as we sat and held hands)... spent the rest of the trip holding hands and will celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary in May. While we celebrate our wedding anniversary, today is truly OUR day!

8 comments:

klutzymama said...

Oh.my.word! What a wonderfully romantic story!!!
The castle is GORGEOUS!

Emie Kay said...

Awww! Congratulations! That is a great love story! Blessings on your day and your year.

Mac said...

Congratulations! Wonderful story, like a fairytale. So sweet. Beautiful photos, too!
Thanks for sharing.

Tipper said...

What a fairytale romance! And congrats on the 19 years-a real milestone in this world.

Jensamom23 said...

Thanks everyone! We think it is romantic and I still get tears in my eyes...and down my cheeks, when my husband tells the story to someone.

It's Grace said...

Oh my gosh...Jen! This is beautiful!! Happy anniversary!! BTW, I used to be a travel agent, too! Fun job!

Also, this castle is amazing, thanks for sharing it with us.

Blessings,
Erin

Tales from the Ranch said...

I love this castle. I was lucky enough to be born in Germany and got to visit this castle and the region before moving back to the states when my dad got stationed in Texas. It is to this day my favorite castle and I have many prints and pictures of it in my house.

Teresa said...

Wow! What an amazing and one of a kind story! When I was in high school, I was obsessed with this castle. It is so unbelievably gorgeous and I was always on the hunt for pictures of it. Of course that was back in the day when we didn't have the internet to find anything and everything we could ever dream of. I'd kind of forgotten about it until now. Thanks for the memories, and enjoy YOUR memories of your storybook romance!