Monday, February 22, 2010

Parenting an Avocado

This avocado plant began as a pit hovering above a jar of water with only its bottom wet. I painstakingly kept the water level consistant for months while I watched its roots emerge and grow. Hubby and kids (with the exception of Sugar Plum Fairy) just shook their heads and mumbled things under their breathes. I think those things were along the lines of, "Mom is so wierd" and "It will never make it". You see, I have tried to do this for years! Years of forgetting to keep the roots wet. Years of watching a poor and innocent avocado seedling wither away. This was different. I could feel it and Sugar Plum Fairy rooted me (and my seedling) on. Together, we planted it in its first small pot and continued to watch it on the kitchen counter. As it grew (yes...not withered) I smiled at each new leaf that sprouted forth. I have kept it safe and watered. Last week, I knew it was time to take the next step and introduce it to the outside. Transplanting it into a new pot with room to grow and leaving it outside during the day was satisfying. I will soon need to find a permanent home for it and hope that I have given it a strong enough foundation to thrive in the real world...I have those same throughts regarding our children.

7 comments:

Grace said...

I grew an avocado, too! But I live in snowy Chicago, IL, so it won't go outside for quite a while...I love avocados and had always just threw away the seed, but one day I thought I would try growing it. I love it! I see that you don't have any leaves on the lower portion of the stem...did you pinch those off?

Oh, and I came here through the PW site...does your mom have an etsy store or something? Her photos are gorgeous!

Jensamom23 said...

Grace...thanks for stopping by. I did pich the lower leaves off as newer ones appeared.

Mom does not have an Etsy site. I will pass your interest on to her, though. Thanks again for stopping by!

The Rambling Housewife said...

Sorry, this is totally off-topic: I found your blog from your comment over at PW, and was wondering about those knitting note cards. You said your mother makes them? Does she sell them? If you could get me some contact information, I'd really appreciate it!! Thanks. You can e-mail me from the link on my blog: www.kitchensinkinc.blogspot.com

Freckled Hen said...

Impressive! How long did it take you to grow it this big? I hope the rest of your family realizes how wrong they were and that Moms are always right!

Janna said...

Your avocado plant reminds me of my mom. She has always sprouted her avocado pits and has one on her kitchen window sill right now. Next time I'm there, I'm going to take a picture of it for my project 365.

I came here from PW after seeing your mom's beautiful notecards. Does she have a blog or anything? Her yarn is gorgeous, and her photography is stunning. I'd love to see more. Thanks.

Farmerswife said...

That's awesome! You have incredible patience!

Twisted Fencepost said...

I have done this with the top of a pineapple. My dad had a huge one. I don't know what ever happened to it though.
I love how you related the avacado seed to your children. I think we all worry about the same thing.