Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Mom and P.W.

Let me preface this post by saying that I have been reading The Pioneer Woman nearly since the beginning. My sister told me about the blog before I knew WHAT a blog was! I instantly fell in love and read each of her previous posts...see I told you it was near the beginning...couldn't do that now. I used her pumpkin roasting tips as a basis of my first 4-H cooking meeting. I have no pictures of that event because I forgot. It had to do with the fact that I had 10 kids in my kitchen scooping and cleaning pumpkins...others making the pepitas and Pumpkin Cake! It was a fun and messy afternoon! I have used Ivoryhut's instructions for taking pictures of the moon with my little camera. Lollipop Pop and I nearly lost our fingers to frostbite that evening. She had climbed in a walnut tree, was using the branches as a tri-pod and I was both encouraging her and laughing at the silliness of our actions for a good shot of the moon! My teenage son asked for this with blueberries, instead of a birthday cake. I made 2 of them and Shaggy ate one by himself! For some reason, I feel as though I can relate to Ree. She is on a vast ranch in Oklahoma...I am on a small "ranch" in California. She homeschools her 4 punks...I send my kidnicks to public school. She shovels cow poop from her porch...my hubby hoses chicken poop from ours. See? The similarities are endless! Anyway, I am not sure what it is that I enjoy the most...her talent as a cook, photographer, storyteller or the fact that she seems so down to earth and NICE. Whatever it is, I am hooked and I continue to enjoy. I had pre-ordered 2 of her cookbooks with the intent of keeping one and giving the other to my Mom, who planted the seed that would become my love for cooking many moons ago. Ree mentioned that she would sign books for those who could not get to a book signing and I knew I wanted to take part. After the holidays were over and my life was less chaotic, I wrapped the books up and shipped them to Oklahoma. I also sent Ree a box of my Mom's Notecards. I wanted to show her just a bit of my appreciation for her Blog and for taking the time to entertain so many. I was thrilled to receive the sign books back several weeks ago and presented Mom's copy to her who was equally thrilled. On Monday, after taking the kids to school, I plopped down to check E-Mail and see what was happening in blogland. Lo an behold, I saw this post! I called Mom and told her to stop changing the bed and get to a computer! Then I hung up and went back to reading. Wow! My mom's cards were being featured on The Pioneer Woman! You see, she has been making cards like these for some time now. She began with stunning photos of flowers and garden things. She has sold them strictly by word of mouth and everyone loves them. Several years ago, my sister rekindled Mom's love for knitting and the two of them are terrific and so very talented. Mom decided somewhere along the line that she wanted to spin fiber into yarn. That has become her new passion and as you can see by the notecards, she is pretty darn good! You see, the yarn in the photos is what she has created herself. She spins the yarn, takes the photos and hand makes the cards herself. From the comments on PW's blog, I knew that there was an interest in the cards and asked if she wanted to take orders. Yes! She has posted her E-Mail address in Ree's comments and I will pass it along to those of you who are interested. Let me say that I am so very proud of her and thrilled that you comments are so kind...and to Ree..thank you!
abelau at ocsnet dot net

8 comments:

klutzymama said...

That is so very cool!!! You guys are famous! :)

The Rambling Housewife said...

Oh, I'm so glad you put this up! Those cards are so beautiful, and it's even neater knowing your mother spun the yarn herself. I'm glad I'll be able to get some now. I couldn't believe it when Ree said she had no idea how to get them! :-) Thank-you.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Hey, I saw that post! Now I know who it is that makes those beautiful cards.
Congratulations to your Mom!
I know she's thankful to you for sticking some of those in the package with the books.

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I don't know you yet but with your Mom being you Mom, I am sure you are wonderful! I have followed PW's blog too! Just look what you have created. Now your Mom will have and income to spend on more fiber!!

Shari

tipper said...

Wow congrats to you both!! I just saw Ree on tv this week making her cinnamon roles-neat!

Loving your music this morning-Bear Naked Ladies and Andy Gibb-I still have all my 45s of his-and I can still sing all the words to shadow dancing. Makes me wonder why I can do that after all these years-but I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday : )

Flea said...

What fun! I scrolled through Ree's comments to find the author of the cards. They're gorgeous!

Emie Kay said...

THAT is an incredibly awesome story of doing what you love and God just blessing it! I love it! Thanks for sharing!

ecuakim said...

Whoo-hoo! Thanks for posting this answer to my burning question! Can't wait to find out more from your mom about the cards. Dontcha just LOVE REE!?