Thursday, February 11, 2010

Homemade Biscuits, Butter and Chocolate Gravy...OH MY!

I had my group of 4-H kids come for their cooking meeting yesterday. I have been trying to teach them to make normal, everyday foods from scratch. I knew I wanted to teach them to make biscuits without opening a can from the fridge. The butter would be fun for them and the chocolate gravy....well, the chocolate gravy took ME on a trip down memory lane. They could not believe that the butter was so easy and that one could actually have chocolate for BREAKFAST! The biscuits went over so well, that several kids asked if they had time to make another batch...they did and so..they did! The biscuit recipe came from a blogger friend whom I have never met, but enjoy reading. Her link to the recipe is http://klutzymama.wordpress.com/2010/01/30/oops/.
This is the link for the Heavenly Chocolate Concoction...http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Southern-Style-Chocolate-Gravy/Detail.aspx?prop31=1. For the butter, I placed 2 cups of heavy manufacturing cream and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a mixing bowl. They whisked the mixture on high until it separated and then strained and dried the buttermilk from the butter. It went over VERY well and the kids had fun AND learned something. I couldn't have asked for more!

No comments: