Thursday, February 18, 2010

Books

I have lived in 3 California towns in my life...other than the selfish period in my life after high school when I KNEW EVERYTHING and spent about a year elsewhere. Anyway, I was born in one of the prettiest places on earth...the Cascades...then a very small town in Lake County and finally where I am today. I was blessed to have grandparents throughout my childhood. When we lived in the Cascades and Lake County, we were in close proximity to my paternal grandparents and when we moved here, we were closer to my maternal set. My maternal grandparents had an upstairs room that housed a wondrous attic, the t.v. and an entire wall of books! As a child, the books held a magical spell over me. There were books about places they had travelled or wanted to travel to. There were biographies, westerns, cookbooks and reference books. When my grandfather passed and I married and had a wall filled with a massive bookshelf, I inherited about 1/2 of the books. They were a source of comfort to me as well as an almost endless source of entertainment. When we decided to move from town to the house we live in today, I was concerned that there was not a true place to build a bookcase that would house all of my books. We made the move anyway and I could not be happier. Being in the country is a blessing to all of us, but not having the books in my sight has been a thorn in my side. I wanted the books to be appreciated and cherished like they had in the beginning of their existence...yes, I know they are books, not live creatures. The books were boxed up and have been in our storage area for almost 8 years. We have shuffled the boxes in the storage area to make room for other "stuff". I knew that I was the only one who could sort through them, but cintinued to procrastinate...for 8 years! Yesterday was day that I decided I would finally tackle the job. I knew there were a lot of books that I would never read and would donate them to our library. As I went through each box I was mesmerized my the variety of topics. I have whittled down 10 large boxes to one for my use with the rest going to the library. I did bring several into the house last night and E-Mailed friends to see if they would be interested in a specific book. I am thrilled to have found homes for them. They will continue to be cherished and appreciated after all.

2 comments:

Missy said...

You are so creative I wish I only had a bit of that. I hope you got my email I never heard back from you and I didn't get a chance to talk to you at school.

Farmerswife said...

I know how you feel! I just went through all my books and parted with some I was ready to and some I just knew I would not pick up again even if I didn't want to let them go. Books are amazing!!