Thursday, January 14, 2010

Whew!

I am a 4-H Leader for 3 projects and I really enjoy it. Yesterday afternoon was our Cooking meeting and I invited the Mini Members (kids between 5 and 9 who are too young to be full fledged members) to come as well. I try to teach the kids how to make things that they would commonly purchase, from scratch. Then we compare the wholesome ingredients in the homemade as compared to the processed food. Lollipop Pop and I discussed several recipes for this meeting. We needed something that the Project Members would learn from, but would involve the Mini Members as well. We settled on Homemade Marshmallows. Not healthy, but fun and something many of them did nit know could be made. I used this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/toasted-coconut-marshmallows-recipe2/index.html I did not use the coconut, however. I had made one batch ahead of time to start with. The older kids helped the younger ones dip the marshmallows into chocolate and decorate with sprinkles. The kids were amazed my several things...one how gross the softening gelatin looked, how hot the sugar syrup was to stir and that a liquidy, tan colored concoction turned into a fluffy, white, sticky cloud! It was a huge hit with the kids and after all 15 of them went home, I breathed a sigh of relief!

No comments: