Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My Book List from 2009

When I started this blog nearly a year ago, I had no idea where it would lead. I hoped that I would post pictures for family in faraway lands to see and hear what we were up to. That, it has done. I also found it a place that I can jot down things that I find interesting...hopefully someone else does as well. I also began keeping track of the books I read. That has been fun for me to see the varied topics, styles and authors I chose as well as the number of them I was able to finish in a year. I also noticed patterns for the types of books I read and that I apparently enjoy summer fluff in the summer! I do admit that I raced to finish the last book on New Year's Eve so that it would count! Other than that, I read a bit before I go to bed and on weekends that are free. It is and has always been my relaxation. Since I will be starting this again for 2010 on my sidebar, here is my list for 2009.
1. The Shack (Had a hard time, but finished it)
2. Eat, Pray, Love (LOVED it!)
3. A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Oh MY!)
4. Shadows of Lancaster County (Fast and easy read...disappointed with the final chapters)
5. A Series of Unfortunate Events - Book the 13th (Sweet Pea shamed me into finishing the series)
6. The London Eye Mystery (Sweet Pea and I read it - quite good)
7. The Prodigal Summer (not bad)
8. A Girl Named Zippy (Easy and enjoyable)
9. Cold Comfort (Hard to get into, but glad I plugged along)
10. To Kill a Mockingbird (I had not read this for many moons...It is better than I remembered!)
11. The Grapes of Wrath (Read in Mrs. Hickman's class 25+ years ago...timeless and interesting now)
12. Uncle Tom's Cabin (I have read it before. Am not enjoying it at all. Am quitting. In the mood for fluff)
13.Cold Mountain (I enjoyed the first half, but it continued in the same vain...almost like 2 separate books...disappointed when the stories finally merged. Not bad, just not a favorite)
14.On Bear Mountain by Deborah Smith (Set in the Georgia Mountains...good summer read. Tears toward the end)
15. Nights in Rodanthe (Romantic summer read. Done in a day)
16. Only Love by Erich Segal (Predictable, a bit corny and the perfect easy summer, romance read)
17.All Through the Night by Mary Higgins Clark (Easy and fast)
18. Silent Night by Mary Higgins Clark (Exactly the same storyline as All Through the Night...different names...read both in a day and a half)
19. Then Came Heaven bu LaVyrle Spencer (Tragedy, Love, Hope and Family)
20. Mockingbird:A Portrait of Harper Lee (enjoyed the portions with Truman Capote...liked parts, but mostly heresy, as Ms. Lee didn't participate in the writing)
21.Enchantment by Donald Spoto (Audrey Hepburn's Life...again, I prefer autobiographies, but very interesting, nonetheless)
22. Crazy for the Storm by Norman Ollestad (Quick read, written by a man who as a child was in a horrific plane crash...his story of survival)
23.An Echo in the Bone by Diane Gabaldon (One of her best!)
24. Julie and Julia....I tried, but the unnecessary language had me returning it to the library unfinished
25. The Red Tent by Anita Diamont (Really enjoyed this. While fiction, it made me wonder about other Biblical figures' untold story)
26. The Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamont (Loved the Red Tent so much, I thought I'd read the author again. Good book, but not nearly as enjoyable as The Red Tent)
27. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (As the mother of daughters, I had a difficult time reading the beginning of this one. As I continued, I found comfort in the story)
I don't know what I will read this year and am excited to begin the journey

2 comments:

klutzymama said...

I've read some of these on your list and have added some of them to mine to try. Thanks!

Bonnie @ House of Grace said...

I really like your site. Thank you so much for entering the Get Clean Giveaway on the Thick Decor Chick blog. I am sorry that you did not win. If you have any questions about my products please feel free to call me at 630-262-1007 or go to my website DonahueWellness.MyShaklee.com.