Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mortification + Blessings = New Leaf

Our pantry seems to have a life of its own much of the year. I do clean it from time to time, but not often. The holidays seem to be when it becomes its worst, but that excuse can be used no longer! I am going to be challenging myself beginning on February 1st...yes, February is only days away. Anyway, I decided that our family will be attempting a pantry and freezer challenge. I read about it here http://lifeasmom.com/2009/12/eat-from-the-pantry-challenge-join-us.html. The freezer part in my challenge will simply be utilizing the food already in the freezer. We purchase meat each spring (supporting our local 4-H kids and Fair) so that is not something we usually need to buy from a store. I am VERY SLOWLY learning the ropes of coupon shopping at CVS for toiletries. This site is fantastic and is helping me http://www.centsible-sawyer.com/search/label/cvs%20for%20beginners. The mortification and blessings are apparent in the following photo of my pantry. Mortification, because I am actually documenting it AND showing it to someone. The Blessings are because I do not have to worry about being able to feed my family. Combining those two factors, I am determined to turn over a New Leaf. You will notice the one thing this pantry is lacking, is a floor! Much of my last trip to Costco is located where the floor used to be. See the jug of vinegar sitting haphazardly under the bottom shelf? Well, when I pulled it out yesterday to use, the surrounding items fell into the vinegar's home. Yikes! Does anyone have an idea what to do with leftover candy canes? Seems I went a bit overboard this year.











Last night I began the organization that would be necessary to complete this challenge. I wrapped it up this morning and am pleased with the change. I was also embarrassed to discover just how many duplicate items I had. This also irritates be because I thought of the extra money I spent because I THOUGHT I was out of something when I wasn't! I had several partially used bags of rice, vinegars, seasonings...you get the picture. Anyway, I have consolidated it all and made an inventory. I plan on updating the inventory on a regular basis, so grocery shopping will be more efficient and less costly. I didn't even have to purchase any storage containers...which has effectively organized ANOTHER area in my kitchen! Who knew there would be added benefits! Sugar Plum Fairy and her mother are thrilled that the little chair found a home as well. She actually thanked me for making a special place for it. I am just happy to not be tripping over it anymore! Another added benefit!

4 comments:

klutzymama said...

Woah! You did awesome!

abelau said...

Do you remember the inventory we used to have on the freezer door?

Jensamom23 said...

Yes, I do, Mom. That is next on my to do list.

Jenny said...

Wow, that is a serious before and after. Doesn't it just make you smile each time you open that door!