Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Lollipop and Lollipop Pop

My girls decided they wanted to be referred to Sugar Plum Fairy and Lollipop Pop in this venture of mine. Sugar Plum Fairy was no surprise because...well....she is going to be a fairy when she grows up...or a princess. She is quite serious and I am enchanted by her dreams. Anyway, Lollipop Pop was a choice that touched my heart and made me get all teary eyed. You see, when I was a VERY little girl in a VERY small town, I had a boyfriend. Kevin was the one who held my hand and led me to a chair on the first day kindergarten when I was howling and grabbing my mom's skirt (it was bright blue with buttons down the front). Kevin is the one who told me that we were going steady...it lasted from Kindergarten until the recess line in 4Th grade. Kevin was blond like me. Kevin was funny. Kevin was kind and my protector through elementary school. Well, Kevin's Dad always called me Lollipop (Kevin was Doober). I have no idea why and have never thought of myself by any other name when I think back. Kevin and I kept in touch through high school after my family moved away and sporadically for years after. He was killed several years ago and I treasure those vivid, childhood memories. So when my daughter deemed herself Lollipop Pop, I knew Kevin will never truly be gone.

Lollipop and Doober...circa 1971ish

3 comments:

klutzymama said...

Oh my goodness, what a sweet, sweet post! And you and Kevin were just adorable!

I think it's great that your little one wants to be a fairy when she grows up. For the longest time, my oldest went around telling everyone she wanted to work at Subway when she grew up.

abelau said...

A lovely post, Jennifer. What a delightful 'couple' you both were back in those magical, and truly Norman Rockwell days.

There have been teary eyes here too as we look back and remember.

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

What a sweet blog! So glad to have "met" you.

Blessings,
LMM