Saturday, January 16, 2010

Jake




Yesterday afternoon stunk to high Heaven! Seems while we were out, Jake had been hit and did not make it. After all the tears and burial ceremonies were completed, the memories have flooded back. If you have ever had a Border Collie, you will know that they need a purpose in life...a job. For most of his life, Jake's passion was soccer! He brought the ball to any human he saw, backed up and waited until it was kicked and off he went to push it back with his nose for another round. This would last as long as the human's leg could stand it! Jake could NOT be faked out regarding the direction that the ball would take, either. Believe me...we tried! I do believe that seeing balls around here will be bittersweet for some time. After Sugar Plum Fairy (not Gum Drop anymore....my bad) came along, Jake would kindly bring her the ball to kick with her toddler size legs a couple times to appease her. The he would bypass her for legs with farther kicking capabilities. He would chase the water from a hose until he was gasping for breath.


My wonderful sister just sent me her favorite shot of Jake...it sums up his love of water! Thanks, Bec.

Jake was also our resident point guard when the kids played basketball...not always the to kid's amusement. If you could get past Jake in either soccer or basketball, you were some kind of athlete! When Shaggy and Lollipop Pop had 4-H lambs or goats to raise, Jake's true calling came forth..herding! He wore a path into the grass around the pens making certain his charges were doing what they were supposed to be doing. He would watch them intently for hours on end! He always greeted new animals and let them know he was their protector. Of our 3 dogs, Jake was the most intuitive and loving. He only wanted to please us, and that he did. We miss you, Jake.

6 comments:

Rebcam said...

I loved that dog! Tears were shed here, too.

Jensamom23 said...

Thanks, Bec.

klutzymama said...

Oh Jen, I am so sorry! I had a border collie named Yogi, but we called him Poop for some weird reason. :-) Jake looks just like him.
We got him when I was 15. I grew up with that dog and he had to be put down last year. He was 19, that's a long life. It was heartbreaking and I can totally relate to what you're feeling. I'm really sorry.

abelau said...

One of our fondest memories of Jake was from before you had lambs and goats. Desperately needing a job, Jake took it upon himself to herd swallows. He would do it for hours, and I would happily watch him for nearly as long.

He will be greatly missed, but never forgotten.

Jensamom23 said...

Thanks, klutzymama. I Wow, Mom...how could I have forgotten the swallow herding! Thanks for the memory.

C.C. said...

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet dog. It's so hard to say goodbye to them - especially ones like Jake who were so close to your heart.