Thursday, April 23, 2009

Birthday #12

Let me preface this post by saying "I am NOT a baker!". I can cook almost anything and love that to pieces. I look at pictures of cakes and cookies and think that maybe this time will be different.
IT WASN'T!

This is what Sweet Pea's 12 layer cake looked like after I baked the 12 layers and stacked them according to the recipe. You have no idea how many times I reread the recipe and tips given. No mention was made about the cake beginning to look like the Leaning Tower of Pisa! I stuck it in the fridge and continued to manhandle it to straighten it out. When the icing had set enough that it wasn't sliding, I brought it out and shaved of chucks of it until it looke relatively even. Then I whipped up a batch of buttercream frosting. The final product was more of what it should have looked like. Still a bit lopsided, but I think that added character....just what a cake needs!


It was pretty on the inside and tasted good...quite rich and a little went a long way. Apropos to have a 12 layer cake for a 12 year old's birthday, I think.

I think she liked it!


Sweet Pea and I also attempted to make Bakerella's cupcake bites. The were wonderful! Not as neat and pretty as Bakerella's, but a hit with the kids in Sweet Pea's class. They do melt in 98* heat, though. The recipes, including the link for the 12 Layer Cake, can be found here. http://bakerella.blogspot.com/

No comments: